As Europe’s oldest continuously published political newspaper, the Scots Independent is setting up a New Journalist Award to commemorate its 90th anniversary in November 2016.
The SI is a voluntary collective of commentators and contributors from across the political spectrum who support Scottish self-determination in their writing. New editor, Grant Thoms, has established an annual award for New Talent in Journalism to encourage budding writers, journalists and commentators to showcase their abilities in the print and online edition of the newspaper.
What do you have to do?
Submit an article of no more than 900 words on a topic suitable for publication in the Scots Independent. Check the Rules below.
At the SI, we don’t think we have all the answers to make our publication more relevant to more readers. Show us what you think would expand our circulation: interview, op-ed, review, you decide.
Who is eligible to enter?
The award is open to anyone of any age who is studying journalism or has started writing in a voluntary or paid capacity for a blog or regular print or digital publication within twelve months of the submission deadline.
When is the deadline for submission?
5pm on 31st December 2016.
How do I submit?
To submit an entry, upload a text file (not PDF) and including your name, email, Twitter handle, mobile phone; the upload facility is located at the foot of this page.
And the prize is?
Every entry will be published online in February and March as part of our New Talent series under our Flag in the Wind brand. The Award winner will have the opportunity to interview Nicola Sturgeon and have both their original entry and the interview published in the print edition for February and March.
• Your submission must be no less than 700 and no more than 900 words.
• Your submission can be an interview, article, op-ed, review or feature item on a topic suitable for publication in the Scots Independent
• All work must be previously unpublished.
• Copyright remains with the author.
• Submissions may be published on the online publication, Flag in the Wind
• In the event you submit a winning entry, it will be printed in the March edition
• Submissions may be identified by a ‘pen name’, if preferred.
• This competition is open to.
• All submissions must be received before 5pm on 31st December 2016.
• You may not submit more than one entry.
• Entrants must be 16 or older.
• All submissions must uploaded from the Award page on www.scotsindependent.scot
• No postal entries will be accepted.
• The decision of the Scots Independent and its judging panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.